Since my post on SCORM Implementation for Mobile Devices, I have wanted to write a specific post on offline SCORM implementation for Blackberry, which is still the most widely used mobile device in enterprise and business domains.
Again, as in implementation of SCORM for mobile devices, we encountered some interesting issues in its implementation for Blackberry.
Find our experience on the same.
After a good amount of R&D and feasibility study on available device software for Blackberry devices, we selected device software 5.0+ as our target platform. Device software 5.0 has good inbuilt browser support (some of the features are from HTML 5.0) and, also has Widget SDK, which is used to create native applications in HTML.
1. Development tools required:
- Normal J2EE development environment like Eclipse and Java SDK.
- Blackberry Widget SDK: You can get more information about Widget SDK here.
We created a Blackberry Widget, which is a combination of two parts:
- Actual Widget
- Actual Widget
- We used it as a backend of our solution to communicate with online database/LMS.
- The widget name, icon image, start file etc. were defined in the config.xml file of the widget.
- The final solution was built using command line (bbwp.exe). Alternatively, you can use Eclipse to build the solution.
3. Problems encountered while trying to implement SCORM for Device software 4.6:
- Online mode:
- There was no problem in running SCORM complaint mobile LMS in Blackberry browser.
- Offline mode:
- Device software 4.6 doesn’t have widget support, so we had to create everything in native Java language including invoking the browser instance for running the courses.
- As yet, we haven’t been able to find any solution to this problem nor do we know if the problem lies with Blackberry.(Blackberry browser has had a very bad reputation until Device software 5.0)
I hope our experience helps you in implementing SCORM for Blackberry devices. Have you followed some different approach? Or implemented it for Device software 4.6? We would like to hear your experience too.