30 Top Online Resources For Instructional Designers To Keep Up With
ID is an interesting domain to be involved in. On the one hand, you are continuously learning about different work environments as you are called upon to resolve different performance issues. On the other hand, your understanding of the domain, and your role in it, changes over time.
As an instructional designer, you start by learning a whole lot of theories and models. You refine your understanding of these models as you use them in different situations and projects. After a few years you realize that instructional design is more an art rather than just pure science – it is a skill honed with experience, and can’t really be narrowed down into a set of guidelines that will fit every situation. Not every qualified instructional designer is able to create great learning experiences.
The domain is itself constantly evolving with the advances in technology & tools and and a better & deeper understanding of how we learn’. Learner profiles are gradually changing (for instance, more people use smart phones that let them access information on the Internet at any time) and organizations themselves are moving through the stages of workplace learning. The role of learning designers is beginning to change from being creators of learning interventions to creators (and facilitators) of learning environments. The very nature of the domain, evolution of technology, and the changing role of instructional designers makes it difficult but essential to keep learning and quite simply, to keep up.
Here is a list of top 30 blogs and websites that Instructional Designers would be interested in. Some of them focus exclusively on how to create better learning experiences. Others offer tips and tricks on how to improve efficiencies or manage clients better. And some explain technological aspects that Instructional Designers should be aware of.
- Adventures in Corporate Education by Gina Minks
- aLearning Blog by Ellen
- Big Dog, Little Dog by Donald Clark
- Bozarthzone by Jane Bozarth
- Cammy Bean’s Learning Visions by Cammy Bean
- Discovery Through eLearning by Tracy Hamilton
- E L S U A ~ A KM Blog Thinking Outside The Inbox by Luis Suarez
- e-Learning Authoring Research Blog by Michael Allen
- E-Learning Curve Blog by Michael Hanley
- e-Learning Leadership Blog by Ethan Edwards
- eLearning Roadtrip by Ellen Wagner
- eLearning Technology by Tony Karrer
- Free as in Freedom by Sumeet Moghe
- ID and Other Reflections by Sahana Chattopadhyay
- ID Crossroads by John Parsell and John Caputo
- Informal Software
- Information Is Beautiful by David McCandless
- Instructional Design by Example by Janet Clarey
- Integrated Learning Services
- Jonathan’s ID by Jonathan Atleson
- Kapp Notes by Karl Kapp
- Learning Conversations by Mark Berthelemy
- Making Change by Cathy Moore
- Networked Learning Design – Occasional rants by Patrick Dunn
- PsyBlog by Jeremy Dean
- Synthesizing Education by Aaron Eyler
- The eLearning Coach by Connie Malamed
- The Rapid eLearning Blog
- The Writers Gateway by Rupa Rajagopalan
- Understanding Graphics by Connie Malamed
(Shameless insert) And of course there are a few interesting resources on this very blog as well – you can find them under the Instructional Design category: Upside Learning Blog/Instructional Design
I hope you find this list useful.
Do share any more good online resources that you feel could be added to this.