In an earlier blog post, I had written about how Microlearning is changing the face of learning at the workplace. This post specifically talks about how a Mobile Learning Platform can be used as an effective Performance Support System.
What is a ‘Performance Support System’?
A ‘Performance Support System’ or PSS refers to any system that improves worker productivity by providing on-the-job access to integrated information, advice and learning experiences.
The four components of a good PSS
- Advisory Component – The advisory component of the PSS usually consists of a job-aid in an electronic form. The learners can use the advice without having a deep understanding of the task. If they need to understand something in greater detail, the learners can access the other components of the performance support system. The advisory component is meant to provide help wherever and whenever the user requires it.
- Information Component – The information component of the PSS consists of the tools that the learners can use to access information in the form of procedures, regulations, company policies, specifications, images, graphics, videos and podcasts. The information component is meant to provide all the information the users require to do their job.
- Training Component – The training component of the PSS helps the user access training material on demand.
- User Interface Component – The user interface is the most important aspect of the PSS. It seamlessly integrates all the components of the performance support system. The user interface enables the learner to navigate from component to component within the PSS. It is absolutely essential that the interface is user-centric and presents a consistent look and feel for all the components in the PSS.
Leveraging Mobile Learning Platforms
A good mobile learning platform provides users with a mobile enabled environment where they can access the training activities in the form of videos, podcasts, eLearning courses, quizzes and evaluation surveys and also enables them to use their mobile device to share knowledge with others (within or outside their team) in real-time.
We unveiled our mobile learning solution – Upside2Go – at ASTD TechKnowledge 2011. Upside2Go is equipped with a comprehensive set of features that make the management of learning for your mobile workforce easy and effective. Its right mix of traditional and innovative features work towards giving you an experience that truly surpasses place and time boundaries.
- Puts training and performance support where the actual work takes place
- Allows new skills or knowledge to be immediately applied
- Enables training when it is needed
- Allows use of rich media when appropriate
You can also view this video which showcases the capabilities of Upside2Go – our mobile learning solution.
About The Author